Happy New Year by PlentyTV

2013 was a mixed year for me, and one that came and went a little too soon!

I got married to my partner of 12 years – who I affectionately refer to as Mr. T.

I came to terms with the passing of my grandmother on Boxing Day in 2012.

I continue to terrorize the students of The One Academy, and learnt many things about teaching, young people, and the combination of the above. I’m learning from my experiences as I go!

I started a new online class – one that’s a culmination of what I’ve learnt during the past 7 years blogging, illustrating, freelancing and finding meaningful work.

I went to Japan for 2 weeks for my very belated honeymoon – my first extended vacation after 3 years!

I also started to draw a lot (and sharing some of it through my Instagram).

Through it all I’m thankful to have you with me.

While I think I might have missed out a few things here and there (especially the painful bits – thankfully I have a short-term memory for those) – I’m really looking forward to 2014 and the many adventures it will bring. There’s going to be new projects that I’m keen to explore (with you guys of course!), along with personal projects that I’ve been meaning to buckle down to do but didn’t quite manage to find time to do so in 2013.

So I’d love for you to share with me:

What were some of the best things that happened to you in 2013? What were you most proud of? And what did you think you could do better?

Happy new year and I’ll see you in 2014!

[Image from PlentyTV]

12 comments

1. sherlonya says:

I started some new projects, and I took my son on a 1 week road trip. We both got to see things we wouldn’t have seen otherwise. I’m so proud of driving from Michigan to Texas and back!

2. Hey Amy, so much good stuff last year, I hope this year is even better.

As for me 2013 was the year I realized I could write.
    It was the year I quit my job because I realized that happy meant more to me than money.
    It was the year I started a blog and a podcast and discovered an amazing online community of creative rock stars.

And even after all that great stuff, I just know 2014 is gonna be even better.

Cheers.

3. Soula says:

Hello Amy,

Best thing about 2013 for me was finding treatment for my pain issue that allowed me to get back to my creativity. Although needing help with pretty much everything, I was able to paint, etch, draw and even self publish my book Art & Chronic Pain – A Self Portrait. I was also able to reach many others in pain through my creativity. What I need to do more of, is rest but I hate sleeping life away when I can create.

Cheers and happy new year to all.

4. Suzanne says:

Hi Amy,

Another great post. I love reading Pikaland xo Pikaland is one of my happy places.. have I told you that before?

Best thing for me was a health success of a very dear friend.
    I’m proud of finally tackling an important situation head-on.
    My improvements to be made this year are about LIVING vs existing. Ima getting amongst it. Life. The world. People. BRING>IT>ON!

Congrats on your wedding. A hug for missing your Grandmother. And a horrah for all the rest that you do. Thank YOU for sharing with us.

5. Erica says:

2013 was a difficult year for me, too.
    BUT… I sold 3 original illustrations, and got a commission to make, illustrate and hand letter a wedding book.
    I also used my illustration a lot more within my design work, and feel more comfortable doing that.
    Resolution for 2014: update my website to show what I did last year!
    Happy New Year Amy and all Pikaland followers.

6. Dana says:

Congratulations, Amy, on your wedding and honeymoon! Thank you for this blog/website … it provided me with great encouragement in 2013. I will need that again for 2014 … I am rebuilding my life from scratch, and thank God for art.

7. Petra says:

Hi Amy, a happy new year to you and congratulations on your wedding.
    The best thing in 2013 for me? Definitly the decision to take part in Lilla Roger´s “Make art that sells” course. An eye opener. I´m also very proud that I managed to redesign my website, start a blog and my pinterest side. Big steps in my creative life.
    My plans for 2014? Redesign my new website (haha), collaborate with new international clients and maybe, maybe, start to prepair for SURTEX.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Have a wonderful year 2014.
    Petra

8. maria says:

Happy 2014!
    Well, I started my own business as a brainstormer, I had my first clients (in plural!), I travelled to Thailand for my honeymoon and adopted my dog. It was all pretty sweet and hopefully in 2014 I’ll start seeing and enjoying results :)
    I’ll improve my “explanation skills”, I find it hard to explain very briefly what i do :)

• amy says:

Maria – you’re a brainstormer! What an interesting profession indeed! :) Happy new year to you too and here’s to reaping your rewards in 2014!